Corning, NY—The national small business movement, Independent We Stand, announces the quarterfinalists, including Corning's Gaffer District, of the 2016 Independent We Stand "America's Main Streets" contest. As the lifeblood of our cities and towns, Main Streets play an important role in the long-term success of communities and help build a sense of place. Independent We Stand invites the public to vote for their favorite quarterfinalist and move a deserving Main Street one step closer to the grand prize of $25,000.
"We are thrilled to be among 24 other wonderful downtowns across the nation! The 'America's Main Streets' contest has really given Corning's Gaffer District an opportunity to shine and showcase how strongly we support the Shop Local message in our community," states Coleen Fabrizi, Executive Director of Corning's Gaffer District. "We want to thank everyone that voted in April, and we hope that all of you will vote to see the Gaffer District make it through to the final selection at the end of May. It would be a tremendous boost for our Shop Local and events programming if we were to win this contest."
"The goal of this inaugural Independent We Stand 'America's Main Streets' contest is to promote the importance and strong economic benefits of Main Streets and the small businesses that help them thrive," says Independent We Stand co-founder Bill Brunelle. "We are so pleased to see how passionate people are about their Main Streets. It's evident by the broad range of nominations we saw representing 44 states in the first round. Now, it's time to rally and vote again for these terrific quarterfinalists."
To vote for "America's Main Streets" quarterfinalists, visit MainStreetContest.com.
More than 150,000 votes were cast for 253 nominees during the nominations phase. The quarterfinalists in alphabetical order are:
· Ames Main Street Cultural District, Ames, Iowa
· Cedar Lee Business District Ohio, Cleveland Heights, Ohio
· Corning's Gaffer District, Corning, NY
· Dover-Foxcroft Downtown, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
· Downtown Brookings, Brookings, S.D.
· Downtown Development Authority of the City of Tifton, Tifton, Ga.
· Downtown Laurel, MS, Laurel, Miss.
· Downtown Lynden, Lynden, Wash.
· Doylestown, PA, Doylestown, Pa.
· Gateway to the Great North Woods, Millinocket, Maine
· Grapevine Historic Main Street, Grapevine, Texas
· Historic Downtown Franklin TN, Franklin, Tenn.
· Jacksonville Main Street, Jacksonville, Ill.
· Main Street Greenville, Greenville, Ohio
· Main Street Libertyville, Libertyville, Ill.
· Main Street Madison Indiana, Madison, Ind.
· McKinney Main Street, McKinney, Texas
· Moultrie Main Street, Moultrie, Ga.
· Sterling Main Street, Sterling, Ill.
· Stuart Main Street, Stuart, Fla.
· Third Street, Beaver, Pa.
· Venice Main Street, Venice, Fla.
· Water Street, Gardiner, Maine
· Wellsboro Main Street Pennsylvania, Wellsboro, Pa.
· Woodstock, Georgia, Woodstock, Ga.
Semifinalist voting begins May 2 at MainStreetContest.com and runs through May 29.
The winner of the 2016 "America's Main Streets" contest will be announced June 3.
Contest prizes include:
$25,000 grand prize
STIHL Equipment Certificate for $1,000 worth of STIHL equipment good at any STIHL dealer in the U.S.
$500 Tire Pros certificate towards a set of Continental tires
$500 Do it Best Corp. shopping spree
$500 PPG Pittsburgh Paints shopping spree
Public relations and social media recognition
An Alignable small business social media "Neighborhood" on the site
Special plaque for winner to proudly display
STIHL Inc., America's number-one selling brand of gasoline-powered handheld outdoor power equipment, is the founding sponsor of Independent We Stand and a co-presenting sponsor of America's Main Streets contest. The company follows a unique distribution strategy in the handheld power equipment industry, choosing never to sell products at big box stores, but instead remaining loyal to its 9,000+ independent servicing dealers nationwide.
FCA US BusinessLink is an organization within FCA US LLC that encompasses the commercial dealer network, BusinessLink, as well as develops cost-of-doing-business reducing programs and valuable-to-business incentives for small business consumers. FCAWorkVehiclesUS.com is the destination for commercial vehicles, testimonials, current incentives, finding a local dealer and much more.
· Main Street America™
· Do it Best Corp.
· National Federation of Independent Businesses
· North American Retail Hardware Association
· PPG Pittsburgh Paints
· Tire Pros
About Independent We Stand
Independent We Stand is a movement of independent business owners across the country dedicated to informing their communities about the importance of "Buying Local" and how these efforts bolster their local economy. This movement supports all local and national causes committed to boosting local economic development projects. The Independent We Stand movement is co-sponsored by STIHL Inc. and FCA US LLC. www.IndependentWeStand.org